A 13-year-old girl describes mild to moderate symptoms of stuffy nose, nasal discharge, and sneezing, especially when she plays soccer outside on a grass field. The symptoms usually only appear in the spring. Skin prick test confirms Timothy grass pollen allergy.
Please click below for answer and next question.
1. Wallace DV, Dykewicz MS, Oppenheimer J, Portnoy JM, Lang DM. Pharmacologic treatment of seasonal allergic rhinitis: Synopsis of guidance from the 2017 Joint Task Force on Practice Parameters. Ann Intern Med. 2017;167:876-881.
2. Sur DK, Plesa ML. Treatment of allergic rhinitis. Am Fam Physician. 2015;92:985-992.
3. deShazo RD, Kempo SF. Patient education: Allergic rhinitis (seasonal allergies) (Beyond the Basics). UpToDate. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/allergic-rhinitis-seasonal-allergies-beyond-the-basics. Updated February 1, 2017. Accessed May, 10 2018.
4. Bielory BP, O'Brien TP, Bielory L. Management of seasonal allergic conjunctivitis: guide to therapy. Acta Ophthalmol. 2012;90:399-407.
5. NIH. Is it a cold or an allergy? National Institutes of Health Medline Plus. https://medlineplus.gov/magazine/issues/summer11/articles/summer11pg20.html. Accessed May 10, 2018.