An elderly Asian man is brought to your office by his family for a routine physical examination. The patient speaks no English. The family is not well acquainted with his medical history; however, they know he was “sick” as a teenager and had some type of chest surgery.
The patient has been healthy since immigrating to the United States 20 years ago. He denies any chest pain, shortness of breath, or recent weight gain or loss. As part of his examination, baseline chest radiographs are obtained.
What are you looking at here?
1. Leonard MK, Kraft CK, Corpe RF. Man with syncopal
episodes and abnormal chest radiograph findings.
Plombage therapy. Clin Infect Dis. 2006;42:
2. Ferguson JS, Hornick DB, Dayton CS. Patients
with an abnormal chest radiograph and latent tuberculosis.
Am Fam Physician. 1996;54:2495-2500.
3. Godwin JD, Webb WR, Savoca CJ, et al. Multiple,
thin-walled cystic lesions of the lung. AJR. 1980;135:
4. Wilson DA. Extrapleural pneumonolysis with
lucite plombage. J Thorac Surg. 1948;17:111-122.
5. Wilson DA. Use of methyl methacrylate plombage
in the surgical treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis. Surg Clin North Am. 1946;1060:26.
6. Joly H, Tulou P, Tiret J, Villemin J. Plombage in
the surgical treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis;
a study of 400 cases. J Thorac Surg. 1957;34:36-48.
7. Brantigan OC, Rigdon HL. Extrapleural pneumonolysis
with lucite ball plombage. Dis Chest. 1950;18:
8. Woods FM, Buente L. Extraperiosteal lucite ball
plombage. Am Rev Tuberc. 1953;68:902-911.
9. Woods FM, Walker JH, Schmidt I. Extraperiosteal
temporary plombage in thoracoplasty: a preliminary
report. Dis Chest. 1950;18:401-412.
10. Seibert CE, Tabrisky J. Lucite extraperiosteal
plombage. Roentgenologic review of late complications.
Am J Roentgenol Radium Ther Nucl Med. 1967;
11. Gunderman RB, Olak J, Jain M. Late extrusion
of pulmonary plombage. Chest. 1996;109:1103-1105.
12. Ashour M, Campbell IA, Umachandran V,
Butchart EG. Late complication of plombage thoracoplasty. Thorax. 1985;40:394-395.
13. Horowitz MD, Otero M, Thurer RJ, Bolooki H.
Late complications of plombage. Ann Thorac Surg. 1992;53:803-806.
14. Barnett GC, Smith IE, Wells FC, Shneerson JM.
Vocal fold palsy due to plombage for tuberculosis. J Laryngol Otol. 2005;119:138-139.
15. Massard G, Thomas P, Barsotti P, et al. Longterm
complications of extraperiosteal plombage. Ann
Thorac Surg. 1997;64:220-225.
16. Narayan P, Yunus A, Morgan JA, Ascione R.
Severe tracheal compression as a late complication
of plombage. Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann. 2005;13:
17. Patsios D, de Perrot M, Tsao MS, Weisbrod
G. Epithelioid angiosarcoma of the lung: a rare late
complication of lucite plombage. Br J Radiol. 2006;
18. Harland RW, Sharma M, Rosenzweig DY. Lung
carcinoma in a patient with Lucite sphere plombage
thoracoplasty. Chest. 1993;103:1295-1297.
19. Stobernack A, Achatzy R, Engelmann C. Delayed
complications after extrapleural pneumonolysis
for lung tuberculosis [in German]. Chirurg. 1997;68:
20. Ohtsuka T, Imura Y, Yamamoto H, Kukita T. A
case of empyema after plastic ball plombage cured
by air-plombage method [in Japanese]. Kekkaku. 1989;64:777-780.
21. Thomas GE, Chandrasekhar B, Grannis FW Jr.
Surgical treatment of complications 45 years after
extraperiosteal pneumonolysis and plombage using
acrylic resin balls for cavitary pulmonary tuberculosis.
22. Salsali M. Late complication of lucite ball plombage;
surgical cure. Chest. 1973;64:776-778.
23. Mond DJ, Khan A. Images in clinical medicine.
Lucite-ball plombage. N Engl J Med. 1994;330:
24. Jeung MY, Gangi A, Gasser B, et al. Imaging
of chest wall disorders. Radiographics. 1999;19: