New ACP guidelines improve the specificity of criteria for diagnosis of osteoporosis; update standard therapies; and update bisphosphonate treatments. A brief overview follows.
1. Qaseem A, Forciea MA, McLean RM, Denberg TD; Clinical Guidelines Committee of the American College of Physicians. Treatment of Low Bone Density or Osteoporosis to Prevent Fractures in Men and Women: A Clinical Practice Guideline Update From the American College of Physicians. Ann Intern Med. 2017;166:818-839.
2. Qaseem A, Snow V, Shekelle P, et al. Pharmacologic treatment of low bone density or osteoporosis to prevent fractures: a clinical practice guideline from the American College of Physicians. Ann Intern Med 2008;149:404-415.
3. Paci M, Burks S, Wang MS. Consensus Guidelines for the Treatment of Osteoporosis. Neurosurgery. 2018;82:N6–N7.
4. Reginster JY, Al Daghri N, Kaufman JM, Bruyère O. Effect of a sequential treatment combining abaloparatide and alendronate for the management of postmenopausal osteoporosis. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2017 Dec 22:1-3. doi: 10.1080/14656566.2017.1418857.
5. Eiken P, Vestergaard P. Treatment of osteoporosis after alendronate or risedronate. Osteoporos Int. 2016;27:1-12.