In this video, Raymond Haroun, MD, works through the evaluation of low back pain and radiculopathy.
You'll hear details about:
• "Red flags" that point to serious underlying pathology and the need for urgent care.
• When conservative approaches (steroid injections, physical therapy) to pain are—and are not—appropriate
• Compression fractures and lumbar spinal stenosis
• When are imaging studies appropriate . . . and which studies should you order?
• When, and for which patients, is surgery warranted?
Dr Haroun is Director of Spine surgery at the Orthopaedic and Spine Institute at Saint Agnes Hospital in Baltimore.