This article was originally presented as an independent educational activity under the direction of CME LLC. The ability to receive CME credits has expired. The article is now presented here for your reference. CME LLC is no longer responsible for the presentation of the article.
A 91-year-old community-dwelling woman is seen for annual physical examination. Apart from hearing loss, she has no complaints; she continues to reside alone in an assisted-living apartment, and to take care of herself.
Woman who appears stated age. Vital signs, normal. Handwriting, unremarkable and not laborious. Can pick up spoon readily. Conversation a little difficult because of hearing impairment. (She won't turn on her hearing aid "because I don't want to run down the battery.")
What's Your Diagnosis?
1. Schneiderman H, Ritzau JM. Digiti quinti sign of mild hemiparesis: a sign of an old stroke. Consultant. 2001;41:597-602.
2. Schneiderman H. Rheumatoid arthritis with prominent swan-necklike deformity of thumb. Consultant. 1992;32(2):63-64.
3. Snider RK, ed. Essentials of Musculoskeletal Care. Rosemont, Ill: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons; 1997:176-178, 215-218, 235-238, 242-243.
4. Polley HF, Hunder GG. Rheumatologic Interviewing and Physical Examination of the Joints. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders Company; 1978:114-135.
5. Schneiderman H. Knuckle sign and assessment of the metacarpophalangeal joints. Consultant. 1998;38:658-663.
6. Okechukwu C, Schneiderman H. Dactylitis associated with rheumatoid arthritis. Consultant. 2000;40:1867-1871.
7. Schneiderman H. Opera-glass hand, main en lorgnette, doigt en lorgnette, and resorptive arthritis. Consultant. 2005;45:1627-1634.
8. Silverman ME, Hurst JW. The hand and the heart. Am J Cardiol. 1968;22:718-728.
9. Calkins DR, Rubenstein LV, Cleary PD, et al. Failure of physicians to recognize functional disability in ambulatory patients. Ann Intern Med. 1991;114:451-454.
10. Klippel JH, Crofford LJ, Stone JH, Weyland CM, eds. The Pocket Primer on the Rheumatic Diseases. Atlanta: Arthritis Foundation; 2003:1-3, 82-84.