|Case 1||Case 2|
Match the following characteristics with the clinical disorders pictured in the photographs of Cases 1 and 2. Then read the brief descriptions that follow on the next page to see how well you did.
|Potassium hydroxide preparation indicated|
|Topical therapy may be used|
|Surgical therapy optimal|
|Usually resolves spontaneously|
|New household pet|
Answer on Next Page
1. Bickle K, Bennett RG. Three rhombic flaps for repair of an upper lip wound. Dermatol Surg. 2009;35:557-561.
2. Culliford A 4th, Zide B. Technical tips in reconstruction of the upper lip with the Abbé flap. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2008;122:240-243.
3. Ethunandan M, Macpherson DW, Santhanam V. Karapandzic flap for reconstruction of lip defects. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2007;65:2512-2517.
4. Leonard AL, Hanke CW. Second intention healing for intermediate and large postsurgical defects of the lip. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2007;57:832-835.
5. Silapunt S, Peterson SR, Goldberg LH, et al. Basal cell carcinoma on the vermilion lip: a study of 18 cases. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2004;50:384-387.
6. Leibovitch I, Huilgol SC, Selva D, et al. Cutaneous lip tumours treated with Mohs micrographic surgery: clinical features and surgical outcome. Br J Dermatol. 2005;153:1147-1152.
7. McKeough MB, Spruance SL. Comparison of new topical treatments for herpes labialis: efficacy of penciclovir cream, acyclovir cream, and n-docosanol cream against experimental cutaneous herpes simplex virus type 1 infection. Arch Dermatol. 2001;137:1153-1158.
8. Chon T, Nguyen L, Elliott TC. Clinical inquiries. What are the best treatments for herpes labialis? J Fam Pract. 2007;56:576-578.
9. Cernik C, Gallina K, Brodell RT. The treatment of herpes simplex infections: an evidence-based review. Arch Intern Med. 2008;168:1137-1144.
10. Gilbert SC. Suppressive therapy versus episodic therapy with oral valacyclovir for recurrent herpes labialis: efficacy and tolerability in an open-label, crossover study. J Drugs Dermatol. 2007;6:400-405.
11. Baker D, Eisen D. Valacyclovir for prevention of recurrent herpes labialis: 2 double-blind, placebo-controlled studies. Cutis. 2003;71:239-242.