Browse through the references from our slideshow, To Eat or Not to Eat: A Brief History of Dieting.
1. Katz DL, Meller S. Can we say what diet is best for health? Annu Rev Public Health. 2014;35:83-103.
2. Jabr F. How to really eat like a hunter-gatherer: Why the paleo diet is half-baked (interactive & infographic). Scientific American. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-paleo-diet-half-baked-how-hunter-gatherer-really-eat/. Published June 3, 2013. Accessed January 25, 2019.
3. Nadathur S, Wanasundara J, Scanlin L. Ancient diets and nutrition: Back to the past for feeding future populations. Elsevier SciTech Connect. http://scitechconnect.elsevier.com/ancient-diets-nutrition-past-feeding-future-populations/. Published October 27, 2016. Accessed January 25, 2019.
4. Bramen L. The history of health food, part 1: Antiquity. Smithsonian.com. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/the-history-of-health-food-part-1-antiquity-69835382/. Published October 7, 2009. Accessed January 25, 2019.
5. Foxcroft L. Calories & Corsets: A History of Dieting over 2000 Years.London: Profile Books; 2011.
6. Tountas Y. The historical origins of the basic concepts of health promotion and education: the role of ancient Greek philosophy and medicine. Health Promot Int. 2009;24:185-192.
7. Totelin L. When foods become remedies in ancient Greece: The curious case of garlic and other substances. J Ethnopharmacol. 2015;167:30-37.
8. Twilley N, Graber C. The ancient origins of dieting. The Atlantic. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/01/the-ancient-origins-of-dieting/551828/. Published January 30, 2018. Accessed January 25, 2019.
9. The history of dieting. Skyterra Wellness. https://www.skyterrawellness.com/history-of-dieting/. Accessed January 25, 2019.
10. Wdowik M. The long, strange history of dieting fads. The Conversation. https://theconversation.com/the-long-strange-history-of-dieting-fads-82294. Published November 6, 2017. Accessed January 25, 2019.
11. Rodriguez V. 11 weirdest diets in history. Active. https://www.active.com/nutrition/articles/11-weirdest-diets-in-history. Accessed January 25, 2019.
12. Bramen L. The history of health food, part 3: The birth of dieting. Smithsonian.com. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/the-history-of-health-food-part-3-the-birth-of-dieting-70429431/. Published October 15, 2009. Accessed January 25, 2019.
13. Banting W. Letter on Corpulence. 4th ed. London: Harrison; 1869.
14. Wagoner M. A history of the diet by decade: 11 food fads that promised to make us thin. Vogue. https://www.vogue.com/slideshow/fad-diet-trends-weight-watchers-atkins-paleo-diet#1. Accessed January 25, 2019.
15. Rotchford L. Diets through history: The good, bad, and scary. Health. https://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20653382,00.html#1930s-0. Accessed January 25, 2019.
16. Cohen J. The trendiest diets of 2018: Will they work for you? Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/jennifercohen/2018/06/01/the-trendiest-diets-of-2018-will-they-work-for-you/#320658fd3aca. Published June 1, 2018. Accessed January 25, 2019.
17. Best diets 2019. US News. https://health.usnews.com/best-diet. Accessed January 25, 2019.