ROCKVILLE, Md. -- The FDA has warned consumers not to eat canned hot dog chili sauce marketed under several brand names following reports of four cases of botulism poisoning linked to the sauce.
ROCKVILLE, Md., July 19 -- The FDA has warned consumers not to eat canned hot dog chili sauce marketed under several brand names following reports of four cases of botulism poisoning linked to the sauce.
The suspect sauce was sold in 10-ounce cans under the brand names Castleberry's Hot Dog Chili Sauce, Austex Hot Dog Sauce, and Kroger Hot Dog Sauce.
Two children in Texas and an Indiana couple who ate these products became seriously ill and have been hospitalized.
All of the products were manufactured at the Castleberry Food Company in Augusta, Ga., and the company is cooperating with the FDA in a voluntary recall of the sauces from stores.
The suspect sauces are marked with "best by" dates from April 30, 2009 through May 22, 2009 on the can lids. The lot numbers are Castleberry (UPC 3030000101), Austex (UPC 3030099533), and Kroger (UPC 1111083942).
The FDA said consumers who have any of these products or any foods made with these products should throw them away immediately. If the "best by" date is missing or unreadable the product should also be thrown away.
Symptoms of botulism poisoning can begin from six hours to two weeks after eating food that contains the toxin and include double vision, blurred vision, drooping eyelids, slurred speech, difficulty swallowing, dry mouth, and muscle weakness that moves progressively from the upper body to lower extremities.
Botulism poisoning can also cause paralysis of the breathing muscles, which can result in death unless mechanical ventilation is provided.